#EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu recants, accepts fatality

 

By John Eche

 

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has recanted on his earlier claim that no fatality was recorded in the clampdown of #EndSARS protesters 

 

In a tweet, Monday morning, the governor, who had earlier claimed in a statewide broadcast that there were no fatalities from the incidents, accepted that indeed, there is one that has now been brought to his notice.

 

‘Babajide Sanwo-Olu
@jidesanwoolu
·
1h
Information reaching us now is that a life was lost at Reddington Hospital due to blunt force trauma to the head. It is an unfortunate and very sad loss.

This is an isolated case. We are still investigating if he was a protester.’

 

Before the governor’s clarification, there had been widespread umbrage over his claim that there had been no fatality.

 

‘Dr. Joe Abah
@DrJoeAbah

Governor Sanwoolu said nobody died yesterday. That was untrue. The Nigerian Army said it wasn’t involved. There’s plenty of evidence they were. We should be able to trust our leaders when they tell us something. That they’ve made us unable to is truly unfortunate. #LekkiMassacre

 

Meanwhile the Executive Secretary of the National Human Rights Commission, NHRC, Mr Tony Ojukwu, Esq. has expressed his commission’s shock over the use of live bullets on #EndSARS protesters, saying that nothing short of the prosecution of those involved would be satisfactory.

 

 

Lagos Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu

 

 

Comments

comments

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.